Welcome

Hi there! Welcome to "Piece a Quilt" by Joey Strange. This blog is going to be about my love of quilting!! And hopefully helping you to start one of your own. I once was a beginner and would love to help you too. Also I'll be giving tips, posting pictures of quilts, anything else pertaining to quilting, and sewing projects. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Please Take Care of Your Machine

Do you take care of your machine?

I didn't for 2 years!!! Until that day when my machine stopped sewing. Yep, it just stopped sewing. I literally took the machine apart!! Yes, I did!! Wanted to know what was wrong with it by myself and not paying someone to find an easy fix or tell me what I'm NOT doing right!
I own two Vikings and love them! Sew what was wrong with the one that I regularly sewed on. Well after taking it completely apart and finding nothing wrong. I let it sit there for 2 days and continued working with my embroidery machine instead! Well after the 2 days and putting the machine back together. I finally found what was wrong!

Lint! Lint! Lint!

Lint had built up under the plate! Of course why not after 2 years!! Yep so here is my list of keeping my sewing machine running happy:
  • Clean under the throat plate. Better yet clean out the dust bunnies on a regular basis!!
  • DO NOT sew over needles or pins!!
  • Some recommend to change out the needle when you start a new project. (Ok, I don't do this...if the stitch is still straight and tension is not off, I continue to use that needle) But I do change the needle if the project calls for a different one!!
  • Oil as recommended and DO NOT use oil that has turned brown! YIKES!!
  • Use very good thread!! I use Madeira and sell some in my store.

No comments:

Post a Comment