Welcome

Hi there! Welcome to "Piece a Quilt" by Joey Strange. This blog is going to be about my love of quilting!! And hopefully helping you to start one of your own. I once was a beginner and would love to help you too. Also I'll be giving tips, posting pictures of quilts, anything else pertaining to quilting, and sewing projects. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 18, 2009

We were all beginners at one time

"We were all beginners at one time", well ain't that the truth!!

If someone would have told me that I would be quilting. I would have thought "not in this lifetime"! But I am. This is how my story began. I wanted to make wedding gifts to my 4 bridesmaids and Maid of Honor (my sisi). I only had 3 months to do it in. I lived in Ohio and was getting married in Michigan.

So I walked into one of the local quilting stores, Sew-A-Lot. I looked through the store and felt overwhelmed at everything I saw. I finally saw a pattern I liked. It was called "Double Wedding Ring"! So I walked out with the pattern and a book (get to that soon). Did anyone tell me that was one of the hardest pattern to start with? Nope! Why not? Because I didn't ask. I thought that I'm a pretty fast learner and I was. So I made 4 wallhangings in 4 different colors! Yep, and silly me I didn't take pictures of them! Oh well. Live and learn they say!
 
Ok the book! Well I saw a pattern that I like for my sister it was called "Shakespeare in the Park" by Judy Martin from The Creative Pattern Book. I made a twin size of that one. Oh Sisi could you take a picture of that one! Ha! She tells me that it has been used up very well and if I could make her another one. Hmmm, I have to think about that one. Was the colors blue and orange?

Ok, so that's how I got started in quilting and for the last 2 years I've been doing rag quilting. I love the fast process of those quilts. But my heart is aching to doing a traditional quilt. I already have my eye on one!! Stay tune to see if I get it done.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story especialy because Double Wedding Ring is my favorite quite and I have never made one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected when you got to "Advanced" you would mention that we have to move out of the house when the fabric takes over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny!! R&R!! I'll keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete